Welcome to my blog – a site committed to finding the healthier, more vibrant and beautiful you! My goal is to explore all aspects of health; helping you discover your inner as well as your outer beauty. I'd like to invite you to join me and begin your own personal journey to health and wellness. Let’s learn together through sharing our own unique experiences; turning them into growth opportunities. You know, you truly can be all you ever dreamed of and more! It is right here waiting for you to attain, and so much easier when we join together as women and friends seeking the same ultimate goal. I welcome your comments and look forward to getting to know you. May God bless your journey... ~Susan~




Monday, August 22, 2011

How to Tip the Toxin-Free Scale in Your Favor

I’d be the first to admit that change gets more and more difficult as I age. Frankly, I pretty much have my life in the order I want it and cringe when my organized little system gets disrupted. But then I never banked on dealing with my sweet daughter, who seems to have inherited a bit of her father's and my stubbornness. The last couple of years she has alerted, nagged, scolded and chastised me; but most importantly, she’s educated me on the very serious issue of toxins.


Did you realize that products are absorbed through your skin right into your blood stream??? just as if you had eaten them!!!

There is no doubt about it; we live in an extremely toxic world. My daughter, God bless that girl, has not backed up an inch on her mission to purify my world. This includes, but is not limited to our:

ü Home
ü Food
ü Clothing
ü Lawn & Garden


It was especially hard to argue my case, when I knew deep down that she was right and my health depended on it!

Over the last few years I have become allergic to various chemicals and suffer from multiple food sensitivities. It only made sense that, if my delicate digestive system was having painful reactions to the food I was ingesting, it was probably not enjoying the chemicals that I was exposing myself to either. Trust me that was a very scary thought! It was time to take detoxifying to a whole new level!


As much as I didn’t want to learn anything as new and progressive as living ‘toxin-free’, the time had definitely come to do so.

I had already become fairly well-versed on detoxifying and also about chemicals that are in and on our foods, so I had a bit of a head start. I attempt to buy organic, whenever possible, and have totally eliminated processed foods from my diet. I’ve spent literally hundreds of hours researching health-related issues and knew I could skip onto the next step in the going ‘toxin-free’ process.


Because my daughter was hammering pretty hard on clorox and clorox-related products, that was the first household item to be ushered out of our home. Due to her sound advice, I discovered that vinegar was a great substitute and started buying it by the gallon. Gradually, I have eliminated most toxic cleaners from our home altogether.


Major Alert to Me:  IF I’M AFRAID TO EAT IT, I sure shouldn’t be slathering it all over my body, adorning my face with it or squeezing it on my toothbrush!

I’m presently working on personal care products such as shampoo, conditioner, soaps, toothpaste, etc. I still have a ways to go before I get everything switched over, but I try to replace some things every month. Finding cosmetics that I like will take more time, but new products are coming out every day. The internet is a marvelous tool to research the products you now use to see if they contain toxic chemicals. Here is a great site that I use: Skin Deep Cosmetics Database. They also provide excellent  information on toxin-free personal care products.


Learning to live toxin-free is a gradual process that you probably won’t tackle overnight.

Going toxin-free will, however, be well worth the effort in the end. As you learn ways to detoxify, you can teach them to those you love, just like my precious daughter did to me. You will also feel the gratification of knowing that you are doing your part to contribute to a better world and a safer future for your children and grandchildren. 

May God bless your journey,

Susan

p.s. Come to think of it, maybe we should have all paid a little more attention to our grandparents’ healthy lifestyles! We could have skipped this agonizing ‘toxin-free’ process!!!  This video says it all...


No comments:

Post a Comment