Welcome to my blog – a site committed to finding the healthier, more vibrant and beautiful you! My goal is to explore all aspects of health; helping you discover your inner as well as your outer beauty. I'd like to invite you to join me and begin your own personal journey to health and wellness. Let’s learn together through sharing our own unique experiences; turning them into growth opportunities. You know, you truly can be all you ever dreamed of and more! It is right here waiting for you to attain, and so much easier when we join together as women and friends seeking the same ultimate goal. I welcome your comments and look forward to getting to know you. May God bless your journey... ~Susan~




Sunday, November 20, 2011

Thanksgiving - A Lesson to Be Learned From the Pain

To say that I really struggled with writing this Thanksgiving blog post is a gross understatement. Not wanting to pen the usual “food focused” article - turkey this/dressing that and “Oh My”, Where’s the sugar-laden pie. Or reiterate the, “What are you thankful for” theme for the thousandth time. And then there’s the Black Friday shopping thing, which is great if you're a bargain shopper, but I'm not. So what was there left to write about?

I Googled and searched the whole world-wide web to no avail. Writer’s block had knocked at my door and barged right in. I even entertained the idea of skipping the Thanksgiving theme altogether, but something just didn’t seem quite right about that. And then then the phone call came with the news…


Those were the days my friend. We thought they’d never end…

While growing up on the ranch, Thanksgiving was always a bountiful feast. My mother was beyond the best cook around – she was amazing! We ate until we were miserable; not once, but over and over again. Leftovers galore and warm cherry pie a la mode was my breakfast for as long as the pies lasted. Then I moved on to my next favorite pie. Sugar was my best friend and this was gluttony in its finest hour.
For many years, after my husband and I were married, we returned to the ranch for Thanksgiving. Dad was always at the front door grinning from ear to ear welcoming his kids and grandkids. Mom was busy in the kitchen where she’d been since 4 a.m. in the morning. With six offspring and all their children, it was a monumental task to feed the tribe. And my how noisy! - Kids whooping and tearing around and all the adults trying to talk at once.

But it was family and it was a crazy kind of wonderful that I will never forget…

Then those happy holiday family times came to an abrupt end, when my parents started going south for the winter (possibly to escape the chaos). My siblings and I began preparing holiday dinners and establishing our own family traditions.

A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn and a time to dance…
But, as happens in all families, sometimes holidays don’t deliver happiness. Loved ones pass on leaving a huge void in our lives. The special day, once filled with laughter, produces nothing but an aching heart full of painfully fresh memories. It was like that the year Daddy died…

It can be tough feeling thankful, when you’ve just lost a loved one; divorce has devastated your family; you’re out of a job with no hope in sight; or tragedy has come into your life; an uninvited guest. What do you do when it’s your turn at the dinner table to share the things you’re thankful for, and the tears of pain puddle up in your eyes?

"And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God…”Romans 8:28


You pause and remember…

You pause and remember that when everything else in your life is turned upside down, God never changes. You can rest assured that He has a plan for you, even though you can’t see it in the midst of the storm. The day will come when the sun will shine again and happiness will return to your world. It will be a day of awareness that you’re now walking closer with Him; that there was a lesson to be learned from the pain. A peace in knowing that God’s divine goodness was there all the time. And for that you can be truly thankful.

This blog is dedicated to my friend Holly who was welcomed home last week by a host of angels after a long and courageous battle here on earth. May God wrap his loving arms around her family and hold them close.

May God bless your journey,
Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment